Nadi shodhana means ‘channel cleansing’ in Sanskrit.
This technique balances Vata and because Vata is the chief dosha this in turn balances both Pitta and Kapha.
Benefits of this technique:
🍃It activates, cleanses, and brings balance to the solar (masculine) and lunar (feminine) channels of the subtle body. These channels are directly related to the same dualistic energies activated by different hormones in the body, so hormone imbalances almost always reflect an excess or deficiency in either solar or lunar energies—and sometimes both.
🍃 Clears accumulated tension, relieves stress, and supports an improved mental disposition in the face of day-to-day stressors.
- Always start with an exhalation and then use your right thumb to close off your right nostril.
- Inhale slowly through the left nostril
- Pause for a second
- Now close the left nostril with your ring finger and release your thumb off your right nostril
- Exhale through your right nostril
- Now, inhale through right nostril
- Use thumb to close of right nostril
- Breathe out through your left nostril and then start again by breathing in through the left nostril and continue from step three
Start slowly with 1 or 2 rounds and gradually increase. Never force the practice.
Sit quietly for a few moments after you have finished.