A castor oil pack is a piece of wool or cotton cloth soaked in castor oil which is applied on the skin. People use them to ease several ailments, including skin conditions, blood circulation problems, and digestive issues.
Specifically, application of a castor oil pack seems to increase detoxification through the liver and trigger the other organs of elimination to open and release. It may also help stimulate the lymphatic system, improve circulation, and generally aid toxin removal.
- A piece of pure cotton fabric, large enough so that when it is folded 2-3 times it measures about 30cm square
- A cup of castor oil, preferably organic and cold pressed
- 2 towels
- A small heat pad/ hot water bottle (optional)
- A large clean glass jar with a lid to store the pad in
- Fold the fabric to desired size and so it is several layers thick
- Pour some castor oil into a shallow bowl and soak the fabric
- Gently wring out the fabric so it is well saturated with castor oil but not dripping.
- Place a towel on the bed to protect your bedding
- Place the castor oil saturated pad over the area, so the oiled fabric is against your skin
- Lie down and place a towel over the saturated pad
- Apply the heat pad or hot water bottle on the towel (optional)
- Keep in place for a minimum of 1 hour
- When finished, remove the pad and place it in a large glass jar with a tight lid until the next use. You can store in the fridge
- To remove the castor oil, wash the area with a mixture of 1 litre of water and 2 tbsp of baking soda
- Repeat the up to 5 times a week